6/1/09

The Classic Summer Meal

Yikes, I'm getting lazy on my blog posts again.  I've got a couple things on my mind for this week, so I thought I would start off with something easy. 

It was nice yesterday afternoon/evening, so we wanted to BBQ.  I have been on a really nice streak so far this year with my grilling.  I've done several nice steaks and salmon, as well as doing a real good job on the portabella mushrooms.  One thing we have enjoyed a lot the last couple summers was the good ol fashioned hamburger.  I found a good recipe in Men's Health last year, and have been using it ever since.  It is really easy, and really kicks the normal burger up a couple notches.

The Perfect Burger:

  • 1 lb beef (I used 93-7)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • Diced Onion
  • Chopped Spinach
  • shredded cheese
  • Salt and pepper
  • Lettuce, tomatoes, mustard, ketchup

There ya go.  That's it.  I think it took me 5 minutes to prepare and get the mixture all mixed together.  The onion, spinach, and cheese is kinda up to you, I think I ended up with 1/4-1/3 cup of each.  Throw it on the grill on medium-high for 6 minutes a side or so and you're good to go.  We used Sara Lee whole wheat buns.  I'm not always on board with whole wheat buns, but the Sara Lee ones are pretty good.  I also toasted the buns on the grill.  Just put a little butter or butter spray and throw them on the grill for 30-45 seconds.  Don't underestimate the toasted bun.  It makes a world of difference.  It's like the difference between microwave popcorn and popping the corn on the stove.  I guess I always notice because my dad always did the buns and the popcorn like that, so I like to do the same.  Once you're used to things like that, it's tough to go back to regular buns and microwave popcorn.

As we usually do, we like to grill a couple portabellas whenever we grill.  Bridget prepares them for me, and I think she uses a little oil and some seasoning salt.  My grill (gas) has an area above the main grill that you can use to grill the mushrooms.  I actually put the portabella right on the burger!  It ended up making the burger a little too thick.  I need to remember to make the patties a little thinner next time.  Overall, wonderful as always.

Of course, you have to have a couple beers while you're grilling.  Since we go to Costco, I try and get my beer there.  They usually have some variety packs of 24.  Sometimes they have a Mexican pack, there was a Fat Tire variety pack once, and you can get a Leiny's pack every once in a while.  Lately, they have had a dynamite pack of Sam Adams.  It has Sam Adams Lager, Sam Adams Light, SA Summer Ale, and SA Raspberry Wit.  All 4 beers are really solid.  The Summer Ale has just a hint of sweetness in it.  A lot of the other summer ales out there end up being too sweet, trying to copy the Blue Moon.  SA does a good job of not going too far.

Also coming this week, I will tear into a couple bars I have been to since I've been in Omaha.  I might write a little about the GM bankruptcy, but it seems to not be causing any crazy rebuttals from people.  Only thing I have noticed that is pretty funny is that no one is doubting the bankruptcy time.  When Chrysler went into bankruptcy a month ago or so, everyone was declaring that the 30 day time frame was ridiculous.  Chrysler is about out already, so the nay-sayers aren't railing on the 90 day timeframe that is being floated around.  Oh, how the pundits change their tune.  I would have some of these people back on CNBC and such and roll the tape of their rants, see what they have to say now.  Oh well....     

No comments:

Post a Comment